Sunday, October 12, 2008

Relief after the sad phase...

Crying and sitting in isolation for so many hours helped a lot. It really made me feel much better. I started to look at the whole thing in a different , positive angle. I took whatever has happened as a challenge and decided to prove that I am indeed a wise man to my parents and friends. I wanted to continue to be a role model to my friends...

All these are good thoughts but how do I achieve my goals. I decided to go to one of my close friends, Ravi, who lived in Ulhasnagar, a far away place. Those days telephone was not so common. There was no way to know if he is there at that time. I just have to go at any cost. I took the next crowded train to U'Nagar. Reached there around 9.00 pm. Luckily Ravi was home. Obviously his parents were not so happy to have a visitor, at that time . I apologized and asked Ravi to come out for a moment. He was kind enough to listen to my whole story with great concern. He told me to meet him at his office the next day morning around 11.30 by which time he would talk to his boss, Mr. Phiroze Patel about me. Though he didn't promise anything, but said would try his best to convince Mr. Patel and take me there in his firm.

Some consolation and some hope after a disastrous and painful day, I thought. Next day I was there in the industrial estate where Ravi's office was located at about 10.30 itself. But as he had told to come only at 11.30 waited till that time downstairs. When I entered his office Mr Patel was having discussions with Ravi. Seeing me they called me in. Patel had a very lengthy talk with me. I do not know what impressed him, he said come for work from tomorrow. I will be given a stipend of Rs. 500 for one month which will be a sort of observation period and after which if found ok, will be put on regular rolls.

I was sooooo thankful to my stars, Ravi and Mr. Patel. I joined them next day and was there with them for another year. Patel liked me and my work very well that after the observation period he increased my salary to Rs. 700 which was considered a very good those days. But the problem there was the work load. I had to work 16-18 hours a day....that too real hard work. In addition to the production activities, Moreover I was also given charge of the laboratory , thanks my over smartness. With an intention to impress Patel I used to show off my knowledge in Chemistry very much to him, which though did impress him, but gave me extra work load - laboratory came under my charge.:-( . It was affecting my health and I wanted get away from a production job altogether. I was eagerly looking out for a 10 to 5 job.


At last I got a job in a major Home appliances company. I joined them in September 1978. I was taken as a production clerk in their Production accounts dept. Production accounts was a unique department. It was neither a production dept nor an accounts dept. But I got what I wanted . The work timings were fixed. I was expected to account for the production output of each workman. Being attached to factory have to work in shifts. I had no issues to that. At least I could leave at a fixed time. That was a big perquisite.

I enjoyed the work quite well...Good working atmosphere and good salary in well established company. You all wont believe, I celebrated my completing ONE year in that company by throwing a party to my friends as it was the first job where I worked a full year for the first time. And subsequently, I ended up working in this firm for 19 long years with lots changes in my positions - always growing unbelievably to greater heights..

Rest in my next...

1 comment:

Sajja said...

That is great relief to know all your struggling was over.

It is nice to read your story anyway, written in nice and simple english. i quite enjoyed it. Waiting for the next one to come now. :)