Thursday, October 23, 2008

Where to stay?

This is the main question that comes in the mind of most of the people who come to Mumbai from outside. Out of the three basic necessities of a human being which are food , clothing and shelter, in Mumbai, Food and clothing are not major problematic areas. In other words, one can find a way to earn and buy himself food and clothing with not much difficulty. But shelter...a place to live...a place to sleep at night is a dream for many.

It was no different for me as well. I came to Mumbai in 1976 and before I moved into my own flat in 1984, I had to change 12 places within a span of 8 years.


At my cousins place in Chembur

In my case I was lucky to have started my life in Mumbai without much difficulty for accommodation. My cousin was indeed very generous to have taken me without expressing any displeasure anytime. That too when my bhabhi (his wife) had just delivered their second child(a boy, who is now married and a father himself). Their apartment, a small 1 bedroom-hall-kitchen type was very much insufficient to accommodate 4 adults (my cousin his wife, my cousin's mother and me) and two children.
After three months my cousin told me to look for another place to stay as it would not be possible for him to keep me for ever. In fact I feel ashamed that I had to be told that.. Honestly it did not strike me anytime that I should be moving out and staying somewhere else on my own
Then I started to look out and got a place in Chembur itself. It was with one of my friends from Thrissur who was staying with some of his friends and acquaintances


At I Road, Chembur, Mumbai.

The place was a portion of a flat. Our portion comprised of a 14' x 10' room and a 6' x 6'kitchen-cum-bath room and a passage of 4' x 3'. There was a backyard, a rarity these days, where there was a toilet. For taking bath we have to use the cleaning area in the kitchen. In the available place we have to do all our activities like cooking, eating, sleeping, washing and bathing. The space as per anyone's guess is quite sufficient only for about 2 or 3 persons. But we were 12 persons living in that place !!! It was hired to a person by name Ramalingam, who is a good friend of my friend Sundar. On Sundar's recommendation, I was also taken into the group. There were a few who worked in shifts, which facilitated for others to get enough space to sleep at night. So at any point of time there will not be more than 8 persons sleeping in the room. But the problem will be on a public holiday or some common holidays. Cooking will have to be done by all in turns. It was not a major issue for me as I always loved cooking. But cooking for so many people was indeed a problem. Yet I managed...

After about 3 months,Ramalingam, unfortunately(!?), decided to get married. Why couldn't he marry after a couple of years,we had thought amongst ourselves,though we knew it was so rude of us. He was around 35 then... Obviously he would need the house for himself after the marriage. We had to start looking for a new place. Four of us found a flat in Mulund, a suburb on the North Eastern side of Mumbai..



A Modern Day Bachelors' Den in Mumbai(Commentary in Malayalam)



At Jaipoorna society, Mulund West.

A self contained flat with small living room (10' x 10'), kitchen and a bathroom-cum-toilet. It was a great relief to get such a 'large' flat for four of us. We were all so proud of it and considered ourselves very lucky to have got such a place. The four of us , Sundar(my friend) ,his brother Veeran, their friend Murugan and me started to live there around February 1977. The arrangements were quite like in Chembur. Cooking was to be done by all in turns. Till about December 1977 it was really fun staying with all of them and everything went on smoothly. In December I joined Mr. Patel's firm where the working hours were quite long. Then it was becoming a problem for me to do household activities..mainly cooking when my turn comes. I used to come very late from work and hardly got any time to do cooking . I had, those days, just two pairs of dress..two shirts and two pants. After coming from work I need to wash them daily or else I wont have any clean dress to wear the next day. And I could not afford to buy more dresses at that time. Working in office for 16- hrs a day and travelling for about two hours to and fro and then washing etc., left very little time for me to do anything else...I hardly even slept those days . Most of the days I reached home at about 11.00pm. Then I wash the clothes, eat something and go to sleep at 1.00 am. Wake up at 5.00 am to leave for work at 6.00 am. Life was so hectic and strenuous that it was affecting my health as well. But could not find any solution. I faced whatever happened. My non-cooperative attitude(as the inmates of the house felt it) was creating some tension at home. Initially they all used to tell me jovially, hinting that I am just coming to eat whatever they cook.. Though I understood what they were trying to communicate. I remained non reactive as I had no solution to suggest, nor could do as they want.

Ultimately one day, Sundar told me that as they all felt that I am not being helpful to them in the household works like cooking and cleaning etc., I can no more stay with them there and should look for another place to stay and shift within the next few days. . He also added that they are aware of my work timings, but could not take that as an excuse and cant help as they all, including him, found it quite difficult to cook and feed me as I hardly do cooking(I managed to do just once or twice in a fortnight in addition to all the off days I get). I had nothing to say. I knew that I was helpless. I told Sundar to give me at least one month time to locate a place.

At Jai Avadhpuri Society, Goregaon West.....

I got this place in the western suburbs of Mumbai. I will come back with the details of my life in western suburbs of Mumbai later..

3 comments:

Sajja said...

Very nice and sad story Krishnan. Though I am aware of all these happening in Mumbai, when you hear it from a friend, who really experienced such situation, feels really sad.

Awaiting your next episode :)

Ichats said...

I planned to read just one paragraph and then could not stop.
I'm waiting for more....

Parasmani said...

I could visualize the whole thing even though I did not have any such experience...!

I wish educational institutions (even)here in the USA and especially in India and companies/work places would provide for some sort of if not subsidised then convenient housing. I bet the productivity and morale could be so high.
A satisfied employee or a well fed worker can give so much back in return. I say this as I do have a lot of experience as an employer.

I have not seen it but Manoj Kumar did make a movie addressing the same issues.."Roti, Kapda aur Makaan"....